Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Friday, March 17, 2006

small delights and worries

Finding a new blog of someone whose writing is on a subject you can be interested in, who writes things you find yourself wanting to comments on, and whose entries are regular and substantial...
...It's like finding a new author whose written more than the one book that you enjoyed.
There is a similar measure of joy in it.

Yes, there is the lack of the joy of actually holding the physical book.
But, sometimes, missing that physicality can be made up by the strange thrill created by recognising the blog author as someone whose name you see on the periphery of your life.

Having said that, I wonder how rude it is of me to not tell people I read their works, or not to indulge in the 'friending' that some circles of people have.
Like my 'real life' social world. I worry that people code my 'stand-offishness' as something ruder than just not being very comfortable with some interractions.

On a more frivolous note (but also related to my anxieties) I shall brave the docs tomorrow to see why this infernal cough is hanging around. This girl is getting sick of early nights, and moping, pale and wan, about the house. To be well enough for a dress-up and dance would be a wonderful thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home