Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Saturday, March 11, 2006

coughing and cleaning

At home alone with my cough, I started going through lots of boxes of belongings today.
These are things I've put in a box when an urgent cleanup was needed, and then not opened for months or often years.
If I was feeling cocky about it I'd say it was a bit like Warhol's 'time capsules'.
The problem however, is that clearing through the amazing variety of objects became an emotional rollercoaster ride of sorts (though I did try and avoid most photos - in today's fragile state they would've undone me).

I now have piles throughout the room of:
- tools
- crafty scraps (material, ribbon, leather, electronics components)
- jewellery/make-up/hair things
- paper and magazines
- jewellery-making equipment
- things that belong to other people
- things to go to vinnies, etc
- rubbish
- books
- letters / postcards / cards
- art supplies
- computer stuff
- receipts / warranties / bank statements
- things that friends might like to have
- things I don't know what I'll do with them

I believe I have reduced the overall volume of 'stuff'.
Now I have to find real homes for all of these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home