Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Aaah. Context.

Sparked by another blog post out there that I know some of you will read.

Since constructing my social self as Femme, I have felt more me, and more comfortable with myself in many social contexts.
Why?
I don't think I am a 'born' Femme. Those silly fun Butch-Femme tests have had me coming out at Andro for years now regardless of my changing dress styles and relationships.
But what I think work best for me is the consciousness of gender, and the performative aspects of being femme. I like it as a context for interracting with the world, relationships, people and their ideas/conceptions.
And of course as a context for costuming. *grins*

I have become freer to be me within the framework offered by 'Femme'.

Still find it hard to call myself 'Femme' though.
My old moniker of 'Part-time Femme' doesn't fit at the moment. 'Low Femme' somehow offers visions of jeans and lipstick. 'Baby Femme' implies that I've not been round the traps for a while and am not pushing 30 (both of which are actually true :-)
Perhaps 'Party-Femme' works better?
Or just plain 'Hussy'
*laughs*
Obviously I can't sustain academic thoughts of gender very long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home