Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Saturday, November 26, 2005

'Out' and about

Went to a couple of Mardi Gras briefing thingos today. Festival and Parade entry stuff.
There were a few odd moments.

At one stage one of the organisers talked about privacy and letting all parade participants know that they are taking place in a public event and therefore may be photographed and their photographs printed in the public domain.
He said that they then "may be assumed to be gay or lesbian"

Oh. Good. God.
That won't do.
I better warn all the bisexual and queer participants quick!*

*The trans participants may be gay and lesbian, so, hey, maybe they'll be cool with those assumptions.

Wonder if I am being a bit too sensitive at the moment about Bi-invisibility?

Earlier, I talked to a few folks who are running different events in the MG festival. Got approached by a couple of people who are running a craft-arts gallery show. They thought it'd be a good idea to have a bit of cross promotion between their show and my kinky crafts workshop.
The lady then dissolved in laughter as she realised where she knew me from...the MG girls sauna evening from the year before last!
Laughing, I told her I probably didn't recognise her because she's got clothes on. She was a bit embarressed. The boys there thought it was all hilarious.

Later, seeing as I was in the area, I dropped into both SAX and House of Fetish on the way back home. Staff at both of them assumed me to be vanilla tourist. *sighs*

In all it was a slightly disconcerting day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home