Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

teenagers are not children.

Nor are they adults.

"Anyhow, kids are very tough. What they find for themselves they should be able to read for themselves."
Ursula K. LeGuin
(Horn Book letter, April 1973)

Man, I'm all for getting the sex books out of stack for the 15yr old highschool boys, if that's what they ask me for.
I'm not a prude when it comes to what I let into the collection either.
But why did I buy Hellboy Junior for the YA collection?
Thought I'd have a quick read of it over lunch the other day. Nearly couldn't finish eating. And that's saying a lot for someone as food motivated as me.
So it's no longer for loan at the moment. And it's made me a lot less complacent about what I buy, and a lot more concious about why I buy certain items.

Newish book out called 'Blink' by some american pop-psychologist dude. But the theory is that we make snap decisions and judgements all the time, and if we can harness that it makes for a 'successful' life. I don't think I'll bother reading it, but I can see his point when I think about how I approach collection development at work.
And then Hellboy Junior appears and makes me stop and thinkety-think.
Sighs.

Oh, but the graphic novel collection is rockin now. Yesterday the kids section was filled with teenagers lounging around on the floor and big pillows and couches. Listening to their iPods. Reading all the manga and graphic novels.

Double Oh. And then the highschool girls walked in with their army cadet uniforms on and started polishing their boots! 4 stunning asian girls.
Man, somedays I think I gotta get me a different job.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali H said...

heehee! (giggle giggle) I used to be in that Cadet unit... with the maroon berets and gold falcons on the peak... yes indeed. Early uniform fetish, much?

5:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home