Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No rain on him.

Aaah, rainy days in the library. It brings all sorts in.
Today we had more than our average amount of nutters. They were all in good moods and well behaved. They normally are.
It's the ratepayers you have to watch out for. And the scores of HSC students (not) studying throughout the building at the moment.

Anyway, I had a brilliant exchange with one today.
He found a few things to read, and kept coming back to the desk, talking at some of the younger staff members about psychopaths and nazi's and the like. I deflected him a couple of times in gentle ways.
Later then he comes up close to me singing "20 miles is a long long way to go to see my baby"
I laugh and ask, "Would you like me to look up who sang that sir?" (we sometimes get those sort of questions)
"No no no, but we've come along way since then, since the 60's. 20 miles is a long way. I wonder what that is in kilometres?"
"Shall I look up the answer for you sir?"
"Oh no."
"Well that's what we're here for. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to help you find."
"20 miles is a long way to walk. I like walking. It's a fabulous form of exercise."
And just as he starts to walk away I can't help but call after him; "And aren't you lucky the weather has just cleared for you sir."
And then he turns and walks out the door into the sunshine.

Then one of the other nutters walks past and nods at me with a smile, saying "smooooth".
Too funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home