Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Sunday, June 29, 2008

After-party

Amongst all of the glittering amazing personalities and characters in the scene I have always (90% of the time) quite happily seen myself as a sidekick. Of all the shining stars that are my friends, I am the stage hand.
I look at them being so talented, intelligent, hardworking, organised, strong, funny, gorgeous, and brave. And I love them so, so much for all of this. While dithering about being worried about silly trivial things in the background.

But this is not the point of my post.

What I have found over the years, is that I sometimes have days or nights when I feel like a shining star. When (tellingly) my anxiety falls away, and things fall into place.
When I walk away amazed at how I kept up with the conversation.
When I walk past a mirror and do a double-take at the strong sexy woman there.
When I wake up in the morning and think 'damn, did that really happen?'
And those times then twinkle away in my head, crystal clear, for years.

So, for all of the niggly things about last nights' warehouse play party that didn't sit quite steadily, I am more than inclined to heap enormous praise upon the organisers. 1) Because last night was a Shining Star night for me; and 2) Because they had the energy to stick out their necks and run that party.

It's so tempting to write a post waxing lyrical about specific things in a semi-salacious, journalistic way "and just as I was handed my drink, complete with strawberry and sparkler, this fellow wandered past with lines of coke on a silver tray. I would've had one if I wasn't distracted by the naked girl covered in whipped cream being placed on a podium in front of me"
But as it was I had a voddie pre-mix beveredge courtesy of Ms L and was only momentarily distraced by the gorgeous breasts of the sundae-girl while having a great in-depth conversation with someone.

The energy was pretty good. I expect that a bit more encouragement towards actual play could've gone down well. - In the form of a few more dark corners and a bit more equipment (where was there to tie or even lean someone to flog them?), - and in encouraging new folk to preplan a few activities with each other perhaps?
I do reserve judgement on this however, because I'm a two pot screamer who ran home to bed early and it may've picked up later.

I loved the level of lighting, I enjoyed some of the music, though it was perhaps a little too chilled most of the time. The smoke machine was good, as were the attentive bar staff. I even enjoyed watching the bio-boys do their hero mister-fixit routine when the power shorted (it needed an outdoor area for them to build a great big bonfire and hence get out of our way for the night I think *grins*). The shows were perfect for the space, people and vibe. The warehouse itself was wonderful.
And no-one at all got in my space or shit me.
That's pretty impressive.

Oh, and you'll have to ask me in person what I got up to. Needless to say I'm a teensy little bit sore and a very big bit daydreamy-squirmy today.
Yeay for Shining Star Parties!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no-one at all got in my space or shit me.

I like those nights too
:)

10:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home