Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Thursday like this

Wow. What was that?
Feel like I’ve taken a little knock to the head.
It's been a long time since I've had a Thursday morning like this.

The Slox was full of babies again. I was drinking full strength beers and bouncing from conversation to conversation. Talking scene dramas, and sex, and blood. Talking relationships, and DJs, and gossip. There were queues to get into the pub, and dramas at the pool table. There was flirting and snogging and hugs and kisses and pinches and touching and holding hands.
The only thing missing from a complete flashback was a dance to Sveta playing her Sweet Dreams remix. But that might’ve been because I ran away at midnight like some shy Cinderella.
Or sensible Cinderella perhaps.
Ducking and weaving obstacles, including the perilous state of my brain, I nearly made it out in one piece ...but for the last seconds before I got into the taxi. Ouch.

But now, in the cold clear light of morning, I look and see only dints, not cracks, in my armour. Nothing broken.
I’m feeling a tad fragile, and am taking it out on my colleagues (not undeservedly may I add). And I am terribly relieved that my morning preschool storytime phoned and cancelled.
Oooh, that could’ve been ugly.
Now ...I wonder if I have any panadol left?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home