Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Just follow me...

Picked up a book at work to give to my sister, and then started reading it myself.
This often happens.
"Spoken Here: Travels among threatened language". Abley, Mark, 2004. Random House, Milsons Point.

I've only just started it, but there was an interesting passage near the start, talking about the pressures under which languages are vanishing.
The author writes:

"A few languages of high prestige...dominate the media and the marketplace, school systems and bureaucracies. Almost anywhere you care to go...young people are absorbing the same music and watching the same movies, most of them from Hollywood."

Not exactly earthshattering knowledge.
But it took me off on a tangent.

It lead me to thinking about the adopting of dominant western culture in other cultures. And about people adopting western language, dress, etc, to reflect this culture, hence becoming part of the dominant.
But then I thought about the reflection of self and identity, back to the self, from society.
People are drawn to spaces and places and artifacts of culture that reflect themselves back, and can therefore make them feel like they belong in the world. It would be a strong individual to not get drawn into this world of mirrors.

And then I realised that this is a great part of why I blog.
Because then I am a part of the world.
There is a bit of me out there, reflecting back to me.
I blog, therefore I exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home