Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Friday, December 23, 2005

Midsummer night madness

You know. I knew it would be an odd night. It always is. It's the rules.

Bearing on 6pm Midsummers day, I opened my window to see ash in the air and smell burning. I remember the Solstice bonfires of my childhood and get excited and jiggly and antsy. I have to get out of the house.
My skin glowing from the sun, lips dark, eyes sparkling, flowers in my hair and bells around my neck, indian bangles and beads around my wrist, red shoes and a red parasol.
I go walking. Wandering looking for the bonfire.

But then I realise it's actually a fire somewhere out of the city. Nature has created her own Solstice bonfire and the city is blanketed in ash smoke.

Later at a backyard gathering I pass around the rune bikkies I made. People ask what they mean, and from the back of my brain comes recollection of each rune meaning. It's been 15 years since I did serious rune casting. I stopped at the time because the energies were too big for me. Midsummer memories.

After champagne with hibiscus flowers we totter off for a nightcap at the pub.

And then shortest night of the year becomes the longest.....

Sometimes the edges are so close I could touch them. Colours brighter. Sounds clearer. Skin more sensitive. Love stronger.

Perhaps I need to get more sleep.

*************************
And in other news... (which is good news for those of us who like to dance)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home