Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Flip sides

How's everyone's post Mardi Gras come-down?
Mine's been great in some ways and very, very hairy in others.

Back to work today - and rather fortunately (for me or her, I'm not sure :-) the strange workmate is being all 'new best friend' again.
Small mercies.

I also got a pressie from a workmates' wife who I talked with about getting into Youth Librarianship. I was really excited for her and tried to help her out with as much info as possible. Apparently she hasn't heard back from one application - which was the same as the one I applied for and turned down an interview to the other day. I didn't say anything. I do hope she gets the job at one of my old workplaces - 'cos it'd be a great place to get a feel for it all.
Anyway, she gave a little pressie of a coffee mug and some herb tea, as a thankyou. Very sweet sentiment and I thanked her profusely in between saying "oh you shouldn't have".
Buuuuut the mug is so twee and has cute piggies and daisies and ladybugs on it.
*bleurgh* Since when have I ever given the impression that I love cute farmyardy things. She said "oh it can be your 'happy mug' for those bad days". Oh man. If I drank out of that on a bad day.
I'm very worried now. Shall have to try and look tougher. Wear more studded belts to work or something. Something!

In other news, I tried to email my Mum today and it bounced. Phoned her at work to see why and she's changed her surname.
*wha..*
Yeah, I know, sure she just got married.
But the last 2 marriages didn't see her change her name.
She says she's getting old and sentimental.
Old sop.
My mother is a strange one. A mix of bright pink wearing, simpering girly giggles when a man walks in the room; and then tough feminist unionist engineer who built solar panels and told me not to have kids before a career.
It's taken me years to work her out.

There's heaps of other bigger stuff happening in my life at the moment. *taunts* But isn't the minutiae of life more interesting? Huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home