Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Friday, February 11, 2005

probably bad karma *shrugs*

Those who know me, may know that I seem to have trouble walking and not falling over sometimes.
Not when I'm off my face. Oh no.
Usually just down some stairs, or when a train stops, or on a footpath.
I try and wear stable shoes, and you'll not often see me in heels. Yet still I manage to tumble.

But today was special in a Librarian way!
Carrying 3 folio* atlases back to the desk for a reference query, all three phones ringing for ages and no staff answering them, and BAM!
I made quite a thud with the books. Lost my shoes somehow too.
And three elderly gents on the OPACs just look at me and ask "are you okay?".
No running to help me pick up books or anything. I reckon all those stories about chivalry in the olden days is bollocks.
I was fine for about 20 mins after 'cos it was so busy that I didn't have time to think about it. Then realised that I was terribly, terribly sore.

So am very tired and in a catty mood today. Taking delight in the misfortune of folks who shit me. Don't have the energy to be arsed being nice.

a comment edited out 18/03/05

Work nemesis spent a meeting heaping sly, and not so sly, remarks at me. But then everytime a colleague went off on a tangent during the meeting, she'd say; "but we're transgressing here"!
Would've died laughing if I wasn't trying so hard to be professional! I'll give her trangressions *evil grin*

Okay, am probably overtired. Hope you all have a fun Friday night on the town.
I'm going to bed.

*folio is the size above quarto which is the size above octavo which are your average sized books. Folio is BIG. And heavy. Ouch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Y said...

postscript: I spoke too soon. I fell over again. Last night. Re-skinned my knee. And yes, I was trashed this time. Dodgy pavement? Dodgy shoes? Drunk girly? You'd think I should have got my walking right by now, seeing as I've had enough practice. *sighs*

6:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home