Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

This is not what I meant by masochism.

In some strange way I have had an afternoon taster of the straight world again.
I remember this weird place. It's like wearing an ill-fitting jacket while everyone tells you that it looks great on you, and hey they're wearing one too, and don't we all look so fantastic together!
*sighs*

Anyway. I think this arvo was the universe easing me into this world before the next 2 days of wedding dress shopping with my straight-girl sister and my mother (sis is the one getting married btw. Ma has already had 3 cracks at that version of fun).

Straight-girl gave me a pedicure voucher for my birthday. After months of putting it off, I went in this afternoon. Mainly to play nice, because she would be soooo excited tomorrow to see me with painted toenails. And the nicer I play, the more likely I get a say in what dress I have to 'bridesmaid' in (No. I don't want to talk about it okay.)

So I'm sitting in a weird massage chair, kinda trying to go with the flow, but it's obvious that I'm a fish out of water. Everyone else seems to know what is happening and expects me to as well. There's a little bit of nail clipping and foot massage. But then most unnerving thing happens - the lady looks at the bottom of my feet, pulls a face, and then takes to them with a GODDAMN CHEESE SLICER and full sheets of skin are falling on the floor! WTF!

By the way, my feet are not that awful. I do walk around outside without shoes sometimes. They aren't calloused or anything. Yet still the lady decided they were not as baby soft and pink as they should be.

I topped off the afternoon-immersion in the straight world by reading one of those Cleo/Cosmo mags while waiting for the nail polish to dry.
Almost as scary as the cheese slicer.

My nerves are a bit shattered and I need to gather myself before tomorrow's 'fun'.
Please, dear friends, do come and have a beer with me at the Sly tomorrow evening. I think I'm going to need some crazy queer times to balance myself a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home