Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Thursday, March 06, 2008

cranky pants

But let's start with a happy:
It has been pointed out to me that the Chief of Parade this year is bisexual.
And then I thought, hang on, wasn't that Ian Harvie siting next to her?

It warms the cockles of my heart that a bi girl and a tranny boy where up there.
Saddens me to think that it probably wasn't some sort of conciliatory hug from NMG.
Did you see the whitewash history that the FG magazine did on the history. The 'B' word was almost entirely missing. As was the part about not letting Bisexuals join Mardi Gras for years. Biphobic prats.

I get so het up at this time of year. Memories of caring what the Mardi Gras org and the general queer community think about bisexuals. Memories of burning the candle at both ends trying to produce community events and floats that where slick and cool enough to perhaps win some begrudging acceptance.
I get sad that I no longer am apart of this big wonderful festival each year. But I can't get too close again at this stage. Too ouchy.

And I am reminded also how much I love my friends and their friends and the whole queer world we have created for ourselves here. Where it doesn't matter if I wear a frock or live with a boy or like to make people bleed in my spare time.
Indeed, it's celebrated.
And built upon.
And outshone in wonderful ways by the lives and mischief that everyone else gets up to.

Yeay for our people!
Fancy this post ending on a happy note.
*takes off cranky pants*
*blushes*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home