Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Today at work...

We had a morning tea in honour of a colleague who is getting married.
Yep. I’m happy for her and all. She’s my best mate here, and hell, I’m even going to her hen’s night (I’ve never been to one before, should be interesting).

But a workplace dominated by anglo middle aged straight women can be weird at times like this. Conversation centred around how “everyone should get married”. But not in a good inclusive way – more in the I haven't and I’m not even able to think about gay people in this context, unless you mention it and I’ll be all ‘tolerant’ and conciliatory in one condescending sentence and then move onto what our resident brides dress will look like.

Perhaps I should’ve spoken up, but everyone was having a great time, and the other 2 queers in the room were lying low and I didn’t want to drop them in it by association. People would’ve looked to them (esp how one is a manager) for further comment or to put me in my place.

Out of deference to my friend I played nice and ate more cake instead of talking.
This probably wasn't a very feminist thing to do. But hey, I've always maintained that I'm a piss-weak activist. And it was good cake.

Then later at lunch someone made a comment about how waistcoats were coming back into fashion and won’t the lesbians be happy.

Excuse me? Since when did wearing a waistcoat = lesbianism. Is this some 80’s code I missed? And then it descended into someone who was wearing a waistcoat saying she wasn’t a lesbian, but maybe if she "got in touch with her masculine side..."
AAAAAAAAAH!
Masculine side!?! WTF!
I wanted to stomp my prettily heeled, diamonte buckled, patent leather shoes onto her flouro crocs and rant about queers and femmes and how no decent dyke would touch her ‘cos she’s such a bloody dag with her bad perm, floral printed oversize blouses and elastic waisted baggy capri pants.
I love my job. But sometimes my colleagues shit me.
You know those that old Librarian stereotypes...well, where there's smoke there's fire indeed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Y, you did well to hold your tongue and keep a semblance of calm in such extreme circumstances. I am impressed! Think of this whilst the straighties 'party' on in their most boring of fashions this weekend you can be with family :) loved and adored in all of your sexy/steamyness (hmmm not really a word). It will be to the great pleasure of many that you will retire from straight land for a brief interlude :)

12:25 am  
Blogger Ali H said...

steamyness is totally a word, and anonymous comments that use such words are just a lil bit on the intriguing side, I think...

Meanwhile I salute you on your self-control, Miss Y. When I am wearing prettily-heeled patent shiny shoes the urge to stomp my feet when I'm not pleased can be absolutely overwhelming. Grr upon blah bland straight people and their blah bland misconceptions about our technicolour world.

11:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home