Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Other peoples' voices

Alright, I'm not in the habit of posting other peoples words here. But this is too good not to share.
On one of the email lists for Children's Librarians (yes, there are a few okay), there was the following exchange.

Subject: Children's Branding
Morning,
I am interested in obtaining information regarding children's branding.
What have you done, what ideas, finsihed products, any obstacles you canacross, what you found to be a success (or not).

I KNOW!
*giggles*
I resisted replying, until someone else posted:

RE: Children's Branding
I have never done any branding for children,
I have however done henna tattoos.

*aaahhhh!*
I couldn't help myself, and replied:

RE: Children's Branding
*nods*
I hear it's really hard to clear the smell from the books after.
I think that would be a real obstacle.

Of course, there has been no further replies. And I think that my impetuous reply was probably in poor taste and I've committed professional suicide.
Never mind.
I belly laughed for half a day. Even while trying to fall asleep last night.
So good.

On a totally different note I had a lovely evening yesterday with the summer storm swirling around.
It reminded me of my childhood so I took it further and lit many candles and switched off all the light and appliances in the house and opened the door and windows and just hung out listening to the thunder and watching the rain drip off leaves and patting the sleeping dog with my foot and remembered things.

Later I switched on the telly to watch the ABC show about the people with disabilities travelling to Egypt, which was pretty delightful (though at times I had to shake my head at things). And then the AIDS show which made a few tears well up.
I had the telly on mute for a few moments of quiet reflection and then noticed a familiar face on the Denton show. An acquaintance from another lifetime talking about doing burlesque in London. It was so weird hearing her talk about her life and seeing pictures of her family. Mind like a steel trap, that woman has. As has the whole family really.
I'm not surprised to hear where she is and what she's doing. Pity she's not here doing shows. I did try to convert her to the dyke side many years ago (God. I'd almost forgotten Spicy Fridays) but she was resolutely straight.
Ah well.

In other news. Did I mention that I'd successfully finished NaNoWriMo?
50 000 words in less than a month.
I did?
Oh. Okay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

and the unveiling of your NaNoWriMo script is when .... ??

Ya gotta show and tell!

:-)

2:44 pm  
Blogger Miss Y said...

*grins* But I don't gotta anything. That's the joy of Nano.

There is a vague possibility that, after some MASSIVE editing, some selected folks might get a squizz.

6:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet!
PS that Children's branding epistle is damn funny!

Pity you can't really try it out ...

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home