Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Monday, October 09, 2006

little fuckers

Next to my office I have a large activities room that we also leave open, when not in use for storytime activities, as a group study room.

The HSC kids usually pile in at 9am and proceed to eat, drink, gossip, sometimes study, and sometimes bounce off the walls. ("yes, sunshine, I agree it's a wise decision to put the frisbee back into your bag.")

However, cleaning up after an activity today, I found that there has been a large increase in the amount of graffiti on the tables.
Wonderful.
So now the younger kids can come in for craft and read about xyz being fisted, and how the girls from abc school think the xyz boys are gay, and worse.

So I switched off the light and locked the room.
The note I pinned to the door reads "Due to the offensive nature of graffiti on the tables, this room will be closed until they can be cleaned".

Sure the HSC starts in a week and a half.
But my library is a designated Safe Place. And I'll be damned if there's going to be any homophobic comments left hanging around.
"Sure, come in and seek shelter from the bastards taunting/chasing you. Have a seat. Relax. And don't worry about the homphobic graffiti written on the furniture."

Not on my goddamn watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home