Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I got love...in the music...

It's one of the stranger side effects of having an office many floors away from my colleagues, an office next door to a study room full of gossiping, flirting teenagers.
I am rekindling my love of music.
I'm rediscovering forgotten bands.
Listening to new bands that sure I've read about, but never bothered to track down, and now I listen to the notes, the lyrics, enjoying the occasional inclusion of brass and surprising turn of phrase.
Rambunctious teens. They're too busy talking about last weeks party fallout, to study for the HSC. Failing one hour at a time. Too many cigarette breaks and phone calls.
So to get any work at all done I put a CD into my computer, put on the headphones, and turn up the volume. Sometimes turned up too high to actually concentrate on my work. Just to drown out the voices.
But oh, the music is so good.
Belle and Sebastien making me want to travel.
Joy division not surviving the translation to my tinny compueter stereo system.
Old albums from the Dandy Warhols and White Stripes that I've not listened to before.
Waiting in the queue is some 90's regression in the form of Reel Big Fish and Frenzel Rhomb.
A few oddities that I'm hoping will take me by surprise. Aboriginal Hip Hop and a random classical CD or two.
Aaah, who needs to get any work done.
Sit back and practise my air drums instead.
Or air trumpet.

3 Comments:

Blogger lukely said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:43 pm  
Blogger lukely said...

Frenzel Rhomb? You're an odd-bod, Miss Y.

10:44 pm  
Blogger Miss Y said...

*weeee* I love Frenzel Rhomb! I used to run around music festivals up north in camos, singlet and feathers in my hair. Launching myself into the middle of the mosh.
*grins* I knew I was getting too old for it when I found myself rescuing babygirls stuck in the middle, rather than just slamming into them.

8:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home