Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Friday, August 26, 2005

Out of context...

"Sunshine poured down between the trees, rich and golden, but already losing it's warmth, like a butter-coloured wine that was all taste and no potency"

from: Sabriel by Garth Nix.

Odd eh. I had to read it a few times to get it. I think I was distracted by the word 'butter'.
He's coming to talk at my Library about the 4th book in the series. I have to introduce him. I'm only up to book 2. What am I going to say?

2 Comments:

Blogger lukely said...

say "I like what I've read so far..."

hehe...

2:03 pm  
Blogger Miss Y said...

*grins* yeah.
Oh - and exciting stuff... protagonist in book 2 has become a Librarian! Tres cool...

"Lireal felt her mouth dry up. Unable to speak, she nodded. She felt the sudden opportunity that had been granted her slipping away. The reprieve, the chance of work, of being someone - 'So you are a mystery,' continued the Librarian. 'But there is no better place for a mystery than the Great Library of the Clayr - and it is better to be a librarian than part of the collection.'

For a moment, Lirael didn't understand. Then hope blossomed in her again, and she found her voice. 'You mean...you mean I am suitable?'

'Yes,' said Vancelle, Chief Librarian of the Great Library of the Clayr. 'You are suitable, and you may begin at once. Deputy Librarian Ness will tell you what to do.'

Lirael left in a daze of happiness. She had survived the ordel. She had been accepted. She was going to be a Librarian!

:-)

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home