Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Career queers and coding

Taking a day off work tomorrow for Big Long Meeting with public servant career queers about Big Issues. Is somewhat daunting 'cos they get paid and have spent years dealing with aforementioned Big Issues. I'm just a lass doing a bit of work for the community, unpaid and without the hig falutin' language they use. The bit that bugs me is a few of them are old school, so they are a bit anti-Bi (even if they aren't allowed to be 'cos they're at work, this girl can damn well tell when their personality overides the 'professionalism'). So of course when I turned up the the first meeting in a skirt and red shoes, I got coded as straight-girl-bisexual, rather than queer-girl-femme.
Should I go in dyke uniform tomorrow? If I did, it'd be interesting to see if that changes their reactions.
Of course, I won't. I just go as me.
But it's been a bit of a theme of late; dress and queer-coding.
Wonder why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home