Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A library without cataloguers

Or collection development staff*

It's like a winery without the winemakers.
It's like a pencil case without any lead pencils in it.
It's like lunchbox without a sandwich.
It's like a TV channel without the evening news.
It's like a camera unable to focus.
It's like a park without trees.

It's just a little not complete. It will still function just fine I'm sure. Who knows what the quality will be like. Will there be a gradual downgrading over time? Or will no-one notice the difference?
Will it actually feel like it's lacking substance as I am predicting.

Technically I should be sad. I am a little. And a tad apprehensive.
But I'm not angry like some people.
I'm also somewhat excited by the concept of this forced change on myself and a workforce that was starting to be too comfortable.

More later, I'm sure.


*these are the people who put the work and love and attention into chosing which books are bought for your friendly local library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home