Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Monday, February 13, 2006

A satisfying weekend.

Saturday:
Started the day running from room to room in the house getting the kits together for the Pervertibles workshop that eve. After finally fitting all the kits into Mr M's car, we motored there (via a printer emergency) to find that the superbly relaxed gents of manacle had set out the room with nice rows of chairs but no tables. Luckily the other staff were also wonderfully accomodating and found some trestle tables.
Our helpers were the most delightful crew. Miss A, Miss B, Little Mr L, Butch N and Mr BP. Without them, Mr M and myself would not have had such a wonderful workshop. They helped punters with their projects, flirted, ran equipment around the room, fielded questions, showed off their expertise. There was much talking and most folks seemed really interested in it all.
I got a comment yesterday that I was good at projecting my voice to the room. That'd be all due to over a decade of storytelling I'm afraid. Sadly Mr M's throut wasn't too good, so he did some showing while I did some telling. Miss B in her cop uniform was great at getting the punters to quieten down for us.
Despite our moments when things don't match - I really do think Mr M and I make a good team. I fluff about and get excited, and he takes care and is brilliant on detail. Case in point: in preparing the leather beforehand, I would take a pair of scissors and kinda guess where to cut and hope for a straight line. He has a cutting mat and an aluminium ruler and a stanley knife and he cares. I hope folks are glad he did most of the leather prep. *grins*
T'was such a lovely time. Things didn't go pear-shaped in any major way - most people that booked, turned up, and only one person turned up that hadn't booked.
So far I've only heard good feedback - 1st and 2nd hand. This is a good sign.

Sunday:
I caught up with my Da and dearest uncle for brunch. Then later headed out to the Dykes on Bikes bike and tattoo show with Mr Z. Lots of interesting people. Ran into many people who I've not seen for a while. Some of whom I was pleasantly pleased to catch up with.
Only 10 minutes in the sun (for the wet t-shirt comp, of which I saw nothing) garnered me some sunburn. Drat.
Mr Z and I escaped for a quick meal at Canteen and then tottered up to the Sly. Smutty Salsa was great, as expected. But the show with the 2 westie boys was fantastic! *swoons*.
By this stage my throut was feeling scratchy, despite the copious amount of lemon juice in my vanilla collins, and I was ready to bail.

Feeling worse for wear today. Only managed a half day at work.
Home. Soup. Herb tea. Vitamins and fruit.
And early bedtime.
Better luck tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic workshop, and a pleasure to assist :)

7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home