Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Monday, June 12, 2006

Gloves.





















Many weeks ago (more exactly, and aptly, in the middle of Leather Pride Week) I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to do 3 wonderful cuttings. One, as mentioned previously on this blog, was the deepest cutting I'd ever done. The next was the most detailed, and a third was impromptu and yet just right...after all, what better accessory to wear to Inquisition than a new design cut red into flesh.
By the time it was all over my stocks of alcohol wipes, blades and gloves were running dangerously low. The alcohol wipes and blades were easily remedied. Gloves were more of a problem as it is a rare visit to Coles that yeilds my favourite small-sized gloves.

I like gloves. The latex ones exert an amazing pull on me. The feel of them on my skin and face can stop me in my tracks.
The smell of them.
The snap!

And then there are the cotton, silk and leather ones. Almost all I own are vintage simply because those are the only ones I find that fit my small hands. White ones with fabric-covered buttons, silk lined black leather, fancy cotton stitching, soft cream kid leather, old stiff leather handed down from my mother.
I love wearing them with very short sleeved tops. Arm exposed from wrist to shoulder.
I love thrusting my hand into them fingers splayed.
I love peeling them off while surveying a newly entered room.
I love wearing them and touching your skin, your arm, your face, but at the same time not touching you at all.

While I was fishing change from my purse to pay for entry to a club last night, the doorbitch noted my black Italian leather gloves. "You can't do much in them, can you." said she.
"Au contrair" I replied, "I can do a lot in them!".

And then there is Sarah Waters "Fingersmith". Not a shabby book. Reasonably engaging movie. But oh! Brilliant glove theme and scenes!

But back to the latex glove shortage.
With nothing to be found in the supermarket, Miss R comes to my rescue with a mention of a certain chemist stocking small gloves. I am soon the proud owner of a large box of small latex gloves. And lo and behold they fit better than my previous brand!
Throughout last week I found myself randomly trying them on. Or even just looking at the box and smiling.
I am amazed at the level of delight this purchase has created.
100 little latex joys.

But tonight I have even more exciting news.
Extra-small gloves!
Oh I do believe the fairy-glove-mother is smiling on me. In an impromptu visit to a tattoo shop this evening (which is another story all together), I acquired a box.
As I exclaimed to Mr M on the way home; "Look! They fit like, um, gloves".

So now I have gloves, blades and alcohol wipes.
Who's up next?
*rubs hands together in anticipatory glee*

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Y said...

mmmm. Sharp red lines.
Music between your shoulder blades dancing when your body does...

8:56 am  
Blogger Miss Y said...

Hmmm, I see a short film. Of close ups of body parts and blood. My hands working with surgical markers, wipes and blades. Miss L's shoulders moving, dancing, jumping with sensations. Miss J's fingers moving over an instrument, playing the soundtrack to it all. A soundtrack with highlights of gasps and 'oohs'. And written below the cutting, in finger dipped blood "le fin" ...or should that be "l'extrémité"?

10:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home