Info Pimp

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books." Guy Browning (The Guardian column, www.guardian.co.uk 18 October 2003)

Friday, July 01, 2005

cut 'n' paste

*Copied from an email sent to a friend tonight*
Nah, I'm not going out tonight.
Considered it - but had a fucker of a week, and have my sister's birthday tomorrow. Actually I was dreadfully keen - but knew my health could suffer - so I forced myself into jammies as soon as I got home from work.
Aaah, flannie jammies - the biggest social demotivator known to mankind!
At present nursing a hot chocolate, listening to fireworks in the distance. Knowing that there's a world out there of stimuli and social buzz. Knowing that I'll be in bed in the next couple of hours.
I'm enjoying certainty in my life.

*from an excursion a couple of weeks ago*
Inspired by Miss A putting pictures on her blog, and hence me realising that it was possible, and the recent reappearance of my camera in my life.
Here's a figurehead Miss Z and I saw at an exhibition ("LES GÉNIES DE LA MER - Masterpieces of French Naval Sculpture) at the National Maritime Museum.
www.anmm.gov.au
Okay. Dull Pic.
But here's the best bit...as the blurb beneath the figurehead reads... "Gallic Leader Brennus is known chiefly for his capture of Rome in 390 B.C., waking the Capitole's geese. The figurehead made in his image was the last to have adorned a french warship. It was simply a transformation of a former bust of the goddess Ceres, to which the sculptor added Gaulish pectoral muscles, a moustache and a winged helmet."
[sculptor is anonymous - attributed to the sculpture workshop at Toulon Dockyard. Bust of Brennus, figurehead from the ironclad Brennus.]

Looking at him, I think they did a bit of plastic surgery too - an Adam's apple, extra bump on the nose to look Roman, extra dab to create a pronounced chin, etc.
Either that or Ceres wasn't much of a looker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home